Viral Infections in Pregnancy
Broad Global Objectives:
- Maternal serum screening is currently the recommended genetic screening option for low risk women in pregnancy.
- Women in high risk categories should be offered cell free fetalDNA screening and genetic amniocentesis during pregnancy.
- Cystic fibrosis and spinalmuscular atrophy carrier screening should be offered to all pregnant women.
- Review the current options for prenatal screening and diagnosis.
- Discuss current recommendations and options for carrier screening in pregnancy.
- Discussion options for diagnostic testing in pregnancy.
Osteopathic Principles and Practice:
- The body is a unit, and the person represents a combination of body, mind, and spirit. Counseling regarding genetic screening and testing options during pregnancy requires an understanding of these principles and an individualized approach to the psychological and social needs of the patient..