Shoulder Dystocia Management…helping people out
Broad Global Objectives:
- Complication from shoulder dystocia is one of the most common reasons for medicolegal litigation in the practice of obstetrics & gynecology.
- A standardized, evidenced-based approach to the management of shoulder dystocia may help reduce neonatal injury.
- Discuss the medicolegal aspects of shoulder dystocia litigation
- Discuss neonatal brachial plexus injury
- Discuss the identification of shoulder dystocia
- Review the management of shoulder dystocia
- Discuss the risk factors associated with shoulder dystocia
- Review the informed consent process for those patients at risk for shoulder dystocia
- Discuss simulation and drills as a means of improving neonatal outcome
Osteopathic Principles and Practice:
- 1-Rational treatment is based upon an understanding of these principles: body unity, self-regulation, and the inter-relationship of structure and function.
- 2-Structure and function are reciprocally inter-related.